Oregon’s Brown says ‘I feel a lot of shame’ after the ‘tragic’ death of an Oregon State student
— Antonio Brown has lost his job, but he said he feels a lot better now after coming out of hiding in the wake of the fatal shooting of an 18-year-old Oregon State University student.
Brown was one of three men accused of the murder of Jacob Darden.
The 18-month-old was found dead inside a tent at a campsite where Brown had been staying with his mother.
In a lengthy Facebook post, Brown said he felt a lot more comfortable and more secure.
“I was able to sleep with my parents, and to get the attention of my friends and family, even if that meant hiding my face,” Brown said in a statement provided to The Associated Press by his attorney.
The post came hours after Brown was arrested by the Portland Police Bureau in connection with the murder.
He had been out of the country for about a week and was living with relatives in Oregon.
Brown, 24, was one year removed from an assault conviction that resulted in his release from prison in March of 2016.
He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and was sentenced to 12 years in prison.
He also was charged with kidnapping for the crime.
In April, a jury found Brown not guilty of kidnapping and attempted murder charges.
The trial is scheduled to begin in July.
In the Facebook post on Tuesday, Brown also said he was not involved in the shooting, saying it was a “horrible thing to happen to a young man” and that he had never been to the campsite.
He said he had been working with law enforcement and social services agencies, and that his mother had been able to stay with him for a few days during the investigation.
He said he wanted to be able to go back to work but that he was still struggling with the pain of the loss.