How to be more of a sporty person in India
Posted November 06, 2019 07:15:46It was only the second time a major Indian cricketing nation had hosted a major international tournament, and it was a big deal.
It was a year before India began its Ashes series against England and the series had been a massive success, but it was the first time they had been in a major tournament.
The series in India was held in the same city, Mumbai, where they had played England in 2011, and the city had seen plenty of cricket, particularly in the form of T20 leagues.
But for many, the event in India had the potential to be a disaster.
It started on Tuesday when a bomb exploded outside the venue where India were scheduled to play England.
Police arrested 10 people, including two men from Uttar Pradesh.
But that was only one of several events that were cancelled, including the event’s marquee match against England on Wednesday.
It’s the second major cricket tournament in India that has been cancelled after a similar bomb attack in New Delhi in December.
The Indian Premier League, the nation’s top domestic football league, was cancelled, too, and matches were suspended in some of the country’s biggest cities.
The cancellation of the India-England series was one of the more surprising things about the series, but that hasn’t stopped it from generating quite a bit of buzz on social media.
It has been criticised for being one of cricket’s most politically charged tournaments, and even some supporters have criticised the organisers for being political.
“I was disappointed, disappointed.
This was supposed to be the big event in cricket in India, and yet we got a bomb.
This is not cricket,” said former India captain and commentator Sourav Ganguly.
“The tournament is a success story, but the political aspect is not what I want to see here.”
India, which had never played an international tournament before, had hoped to do something with the tournament and have a big show.
But as the tournament was set to kick off on Thursday, they had to cancel it because of the bomb.
“The fact that the event has been held in such a hostile climate and in such an extreme manner has put a spotlight on the political dimension,” said A.P. Pandey, former India and England batsman and former BCCI president.
“But, you know, we all hope the situation can be handled.
If this happens, we would be happy to take it up, but I can’t see any scenario where this happens again.”
Pandey, who is also a broadcaster and a columnist for ESPNcricinfo, said he had never witnessed a tournament be cancelled in India before, although he has seen some things like the Mumbai riots and the death of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
“In some countries, like the United States, the government is very political and they can control the venues, but they’re not able to control the public,” he said.
Pandey said the organisers of the event were trying to keep the atmosphere at a manageable level.
“When you see a bomb, people are scared.
You can’t let it affect the event.
The best thing would be if you don’t have to cancel.
But in India the atmosphere is so tense, people can’t even walk to the venue.”
Pandety said he was not surprised by the decision to cancel the tournament, saying that cricket is a global sport.
“It’s just cricket, and we have got our international teams in different countries.
They’re competing in a different way to us, but we are doing the same thing,” he added.”
So, this is just cricket.
And it’s an event that is going to attract people from all over the world.”
Pandewey said he would be willing to watch another match in India on a different date.
“If it’s not the same, I’m going to watch a second one in another city,” he replied.
Pandey is a lifelong fan of the game and a former Indian captain who also holds the record for the most wickets scored in a one-day international.
He is also one of India’s most respected commentators and has been quoted in some publications, including ESPNcricket.
He said he understood the reasons for the cancellation of their tournament.
“They wanted to take their cricket away from us.
I understand why they have made that decision.
I hope it is not a big blow to the sport, but at the same time, the fact that they did that is not something that I’m happy about,” he told ESPNcrisbs.
Pandewes’ views have not gone down well with some Indian commentators who have criticised him for not speaking up against the cancellation.
“He should have spoken up against this decision,” said one commentator, who did not wish to be named.
Pandety was not alone in his criticism of the decision.
Former India captain Rahul Dravid, who has not played